About

Monday, September 1, 2014

Bed Ordering Blunder


I’ve only been living in my first real adult apartment for less than one month and I’ve already experienced quite a few “learning moments”. I’m doing my best to have a sense of humor about all of it—gotta laugh to keep from crying, right?! Jk, I’ve cried like twenty times.

Anyway, for your benefit (whether that be that you need a good laugh, a self-esteem boost because hey you’re not as dumb as me, or a few words of advice) I decided to compose a list of first apartment faux pas.



Let’s start with my biggest screw up to date and the reason I’m typing this lovely post from the comfort of an air mattress….




I should start by mentioning that the way apartment hunting works in LA is very fast paced. You can’t really even look until you’re almost ready to move in because everything moves so quickly. So with that being said, while I definitely (probably) would have ordered my bed way in advance of moving, I actually couldn’t because I didn’t sign my lease until ten days before I moved in.  

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Anyway, about a week before I moved in I ordered my bed on a department store website. Since this is my first real adult apartment, I needed the works: frame, box spring, and mattress. I found a great deal on a frame and a mattress set and after double checking (I thought) that this included everything I needed, I clicked order and mentally checked that off my list.

Fast forward three weeks of sleeping on an air mattress and one delivery date reschedule, and I was beyond ready to receive my mattress and box spring.  When the delivery man finally arrived at my little apartment, I was confused why he was only carrying a mattress and not a box spring….

Turns out just because something is labeled mattress SET, which in my mind meant it included more than one thing, does NOT mean that it comes with a box spring. Cue me speaking verryyyy aggressively to a customer service agent and having to go through the whole bed ordering thing again, this time with reinforcements (thanks mom). At any rate, I can be sure that I won’t ever make that mistake again. Live and learn, I guess.

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved out on your own? I’d love to hear that I’m not alone in this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment