About

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My Beef With All About That Bass


I’m certainly not the first person to talk about all about the bass, the hit single by Meghan Trainor is certainly attention catching. Let me first start off by saying that Meghan Trainor is clearly super talented, and I really hope the very best for her continued success in her music career.  I know some have expressed distaste with Meghan’s choice to use the term ‘skinny bitches’ in a song that allegedly supports body love. I definitely see that, and in fact recently read about a survey by Glamour that showed that thin women are unfairly stereotyped as bitchy, where fat women are stereotyped as lazy. 

My issue actually lies with a different lyric of the song. Trainor sings: “My momma, she told me, don’t worry about your size, she said boys like a little more booty to hold at night”.

…………..

Not, “don’t worry about your size because you are talented beyond measure” or “don’t worry about your size because you have straight A’s and are ambitious and strong-willed” or “don’t worry about your size because you are oozing creativity from every one of your pores”


Have you seen this video on upworthy about our culture objectifying women?  This lyric is the perfect example of how women’s value added comes only from how sexually appealing they are to men.  Basically the point is, don’t worry, men will still find you sexually appealing, perhaps even more so than your bitchy and skinny counterparts.

Guys! This is so wrong! I’ve been sort of churning this idea for a while because something about the song didn’t sit right with me (although it is catchy AF, and I enjoy listening to it), when yesterday while running on the treadmill, the song Independent Woman by Destiny’s Child (miss these days) came on my well-cultivated No Scrubs playlist. Hell yeah, I thought, running a little faster (jk I was 100% jogging), Beyonce and I are two peas in a pod: financially independent and kick ass women. 

This is the kind of song that makes me feel good about myself—and not by putting down another woman or by valuing myself based on whether or not my ‘junk’ is in the right place. I’m not saying everyyyy song needs to have a message or that many of the songs I listen to don’t have sexist lyrics or undertones. But, for whatever reason, this song has really been grinding my gears lately.

So to all my momma’s who profit dollas—what do you think of Meghan Trainor’s song? Are you a fan of songs that promote a certain message?

P.S. Have you heard Girl in a Country Song? Consider yourself called out, men of country music J

No comments:

Post a Comment