About

Saturday, September 6, 2014

No Shop September

One thing that the real world has been determined to convince me during the 2 months that I've been a part of it is that adulthood is really expensive. It's not that I didn't know that adulthood came with some serious bills, bills, bills, it's just that sometimes it can be overwhelming how everythinggg costs money, especially living in LA where even if you want to do something free, you're paying an arm and a leg of gas to get there.

In the past month, I often find myself tumbling into pits of worry that I won't be able to support myself, and I'll end up moving back into my parents house with my tail between my legs. In an effort to curb this anxiety, I decided to try to cut back on my discretionary spending. It helps for me to think of things that I can effect in my budget and things that I can't. I can't change my rent (unfortunately) or my salary (although someday... #girlboss), but I can stop myself from spending money on clothes I don't wear, food I don't eat, or just generally things I don't need (aka this sad, but adorable, piggy bank featured below)






I decided I needed a bit of a cleanse--how LA of me, right?--so I decided to created a No Shop September goal for myself with two exceptions 

1) September is the birth month of three of my favorite women: my roommate, my mom, and my sister, so I'll be shopping for them 

2) My apartment still needs a lot of work (as in we don't have a couch and I don't have a dresser...yay) so I'm still going to carefullllly allot some money for the task of furnishing my new place. 

Sounds great right? Pretty simple, one month without shopping, what's the problem? The problem is that I already cheated by buying a pair of vince camuto nude flats (similar). They were on sale, and I have no willpower. Also, for those of you keeping track at home, today is only the sixth day of septemeber. And I bought the flats yesterday. I suck.


I'm hoping that by writing out my goal on this blog that no one reads, I will somehow hold myself more accountable to my goal. Ehhh, here's hoping. 

Anyone else have a shopping problem? Or, more importantly, good strategies for getting said problem in check?

No comments:

Post a Comment