About

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

#TBT Shel Silverstein Edition


To celebrate #Throwbackthursday,  I’m honoring a favorite childhood author of mine, Shel Silverstein. I was first introduced to Mr. Silverstein by my first grade teacher, who was an absolute rock star. She read us poems from Falling Up each morning before we started the day. I have a vivid memory of our class begging her every single day to read Christmas Dog. No matter the season and no matter how many times we heard it, we howleddd with laughter each time she read “I’m barking, I’m growling, I’m biting his butt”! I remember crying with excitement when my mom gifted me my very own copy of Falling Up that Christmas, and it wasn’t long before the pages began to nearly fall out of the binding as I read each poem over and over again.

image via
Years later, for my twenty-first birthday, a very sweet friend and fellow Shel-enthousiast gave me a copy of Every Thing on Ita posthumous compilation of Silverstein poems that never made it into his earlier works.  Once in a while, I crack open the book and let the nostalgia wash over me.  It’s the cheesiest thing, but often Shel feels more like an old friend or a goofy uncle than an author that I never got the chance to meet.  
              
Image Via

I have two Shel Silverstein poems memorized that I use for secret weapons on the worst days. The first one is very corny and inspirational, so I’ll lead with that and end on a funny note. 

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' out in the sun
Talkin' bout the things
They Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda done
But all the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran awat and hid
From little did. 

The second one—I can’t even tell you how many times my sister has made me recite this. Hope it makes you crack up the way it does for her

We gave you a chance
To water the plants
We didn’t mean that way
Now zip up your pants!

Do you have any authors that make you feel all kinds of nostalgia? I’d love to hear about them! 

4 comments:

  1. haha cute poems!! these bring back so many memories. i remember my grandma gave me a set of shel silverstein books as a kid and i fell in love with them. i memorized and recited 'obedient' for a school project and still have parts of it memorized today. awesome tbt!!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I replied to this a while ago, but I guess it never posted, I'm sorry! I'm so glad this jogged such a nice memory for you. Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. I used to love him when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to reply so late, I'm glad to find another fellow Shel lover !

      Delete